Plant Pathology, Biological Control, Microbial Ecology, Host Plant Resistance.
- Ph.D. 1997 (University of Minnesota)
- M.Sc. 1993 (University of Minnesota)
- Ing.Agr. 1983 (Universidad de la República, Uruguay)
Plant pathologist/microbiologist with >30 yrs experience with Plant Protection development programs. Bioproduction program leader at the National Institute for Agricultural Research (Instituto Nacional de Investigación Agropecuaria, INIA Uruguay). Research is focused on developing management strategies for minimizing the impact of diseases and pests on forages, field and horticultural crops, and forest ecosystems. Works in collaboration with the breeding programs in the development of new varieties with improved disease resistance. International project experience. Collaborative biological control programs with AgResearch, NZ and the University of Minnesota, USA. Faculty appointment at the Graduate School, College of Agriculture, University of the Republic. Research has been published in numerous refereed scientific papers and books and presented in invited conferences. Student advisory on development and implementation of beneficial microbes in plant protection and growth promotion. Membership on Government Public Advisory Committees.
Positions and Honors
Academic and Research Positions/Employment
- 1983-1990: Research Associate, Plant Protection, La Estanzuela Res. Sta., Ministry of Livestock, Agriculture and Fisheries (MGAP Uruguay)
- 1991-1993: M.Sc. and Ph.D. Dept. Plant Pathology, Univ. of Minnesota, U.S.A.
- 1993-1997: Assistant Researcher, Plant Protection, INIA Uruguay.
- 1997-2003: Associate Researcher, Plant Protection, INIA Uruguay.
- 2003-2011: Senior Researcher, Plant Protection, INIA Uruguay.
- 2011-present: Principal Research Scientist, Microbial Products for Agriculture, INIA Uruguay.
- 2016-2018: Human Capital Leader at the Research Direction, INIA Uruguay.
- 2006-present: Professor, Graduate School, College of Agriculture, University of the Republic, Uruguay.
2017 Distinguished Alumnus Award, Department of Plant Pathology, University of Minnesota. The award recognizes alumni who have achieved distinction in their profession and who have also made significant contributions to the welfare of the Department of Plant Pathology at the University of Minnesota.
- National Research System (Sistema Nacional de Investigadores), 2008-present, Nivel II. National Agency for Research and Innovation.
- National Research Award (Fondo Nacional de Investigadores) 2002-2004, Nivel II. Ministry of Education and Culture.
- National Research Award (Fondo Nacional de Investigadores) 1999-2001, Nivel II. Ministry of Education and Culture.
- AOFG-Foreign Student Tuition Scholarship for Doctoral Dissertation. Institute of International Studies and Programs, Univ. of Minnesota. 1994-1997.
Memberships on Government Public Advisory Committees and Scientific Societies
- National Research System (Sistema Nacional de Investigadores), Advisory Committee Member, 2018-present. https://sni.org.uy/
- Doctorate in Agricultural Sciences, College of Agriculture – University of the Republic, Uruguay. Advisory Committee Member, 2010-2019.
- National Representative at PROCISUR-IICA, Interamerican Institute for Agricultural Sciences.
- Agreement INIA-CFANS/UMN (College of Food, Agricultural and Natural Resource Sciences, Univ. of Minnesota). Nov 1997-present. Coordinator.
- National Committee of Genetic Resources.
- National Committee for Coordination on Forest Protection.
- Coordination Committee INIA/University of the Republic.
- ANII-National Agency for Research and Development, Uruguay. Advisory Committee.
- SENACYT-National Secretary of Science & Technology, Republic of Panamá. Peer Reviewer Forum.
- CONACYT-National Council of Science & Technology, Republic of Paraguay. PRONII Consultant.
- SUFIT (Uruguayan Society of Phytopathology)
- ALF (Latinamerican Association of Phytopathology)
- APS (American Phytopathological Society)
- OIP (Office of International Programs): Research Advisory Board, APS appointed officer 2004
- Sigma Xi, the Scientific Research Society
Recent Publications (selected peer-reviewed)
- Zerbino, M.S.; Miguel, L.; Altier, N.; Panizzi, A.R. 2020. Overwintering of Piezodorus guildinii (Heteroptera, Pentatomidae) Populations. Neotropical Entomology 49: 179-190. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13744-019-00743-z
- Oberti, H.; Dalla Rizza, M.; Reyno, R.; Murchio, S.; Altier, N.; Abreo, E. 2020. Diversity of Claviceps paspali reveals unknown lineages and unique alkaloid genotypes. Mycologia, DOI: 10.1080/00275514.2019.1694827 https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00275514.2019.1694827
- Abreo, E.; Altier, N. 2019. Pangenome of Serratia marcescens strains from nosocomial and environmental origins reveals different populations and the links between them. Scientific Reports 9, 46:1-8. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37118-0
- Abreo, E.; Simeto, S.; Corallo, B.; Martínez, G.; Lupo, S.; Altier, N. 2019. Dual selection of Beauveria bassiana strains and complex substrate media for the massive production of submerged propagules with activity against the eucalyptus bronze bug Thaumastocoris peregrinus. Biocontrol Science and Technology 29: 533-546. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/09583157.2019.1566952
- Corallo, B.; Simeto, S.; Martínez, G.; Gómez, D.; Abreo, E.; Altier, N.; Lupo, S. 2019. Entomopathogenic fungi naturally infecting the eucalypt bronze bug, Thaumastocoris peregrinus (Heteroptera: Thaumastocoridae), in Uruguay. Journal of Applied Entomology 143: 542-555. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jen.12624
- Rodríguez, L.; Raffaelli, S.; Abreo, E.; Altier, N.; Vázquez, A. 2019. A phenolic glycoside from Beauveria bassiana ILB 204 fermentation broth. The Pharmaceutical and Chemical Journal 6: 1-5.
- Villar, A.; Ernst, O.; Cadenazzi, M.; Vero, S.; Pereyra, S.; Altier, N.; Chouhy, D.; Langone, F.; Pérez, C.A. 2019. Crop sequence effects on native populations of Trichoderma spp. in no-till agriculture. Agrociencia (Uruguay) 23: 1-10. http://agrocienciauruguay.uy/ojs/index.php/agrociencia/article/view/55
- Vaz Jauri, P.; Altier, N.; Pérez, C.A.; Kinkel, L. 2018. Cropping history effects on pathogen suppressive and signalling dynamics in Streptomyces communities. Phytobiomes 2: 14-23. https://doi.org/10.1094/PBIOMES-05-17-0024-R
- Abreo, E.; Valle, D.; Mujica, V.; Altier, N. 2018. Pathogenicity and virulence factors of Lysinibacillus xylanilyticus and Bacillus spp. towards Argyrotaenia sphaleropa larvae (Lepidoptera). Journal of Applied Entomology 142: 882-892. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/jen.12539
- Abreo, E.; Vaz Jauri, P.; Stewart, S.; Mattos, N.; Dini, B.; Altier, N. 2017. Pathogenicity of Pythium spp. obtained from agricultural soils and symptomatic legume seedlings in Uruguay. Australasian Plant Disease Notes 12, 35. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s13314-017-0258-1
- Balmelli, G.; Simeto, S.; Torres, D.; Hirigoyen, A.; Castillo, A.; Altier, N.; Pérez, G.; Diez, J.J. 2016. Impact of Teratosphaeria nubilosa over tree growth and survival of Eucalyptus globulus and Eucalyptus maidenii in Uruguay. New Forests 47: 829-843. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11056-016-9547-3
- Vaz Jauri, P.; Altier, N.; Kinkel. L.L. 2016. Streptomyces for Sustainability. In: Castro-Sowinski S. (Ed.). Microbial Models: From Environmental to Industrial Sustainability. Microorganisms for Sustainability, vol 1. Springer, Singapore, pp. 251-276. INVITED REVIEW. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-981-10-2555-6_12